Sacrificial Affection & Expectations

So just recently I experienced a very poignant emotional wound by someone relatively close to me. And normally I have pretty solid basic understanding of how to step through processing things. However, this situation is a little different, because it is someone who is inseparably a part of my life but also, I have had to emotionally detach myself from my normal expectations of this person.

Granted all of that, I, in surrender to the heart of God, seek to still actively go out of my way to show love and affection to this person to sow the selfless love of God into our relationship. Recently, I had the opportunity to do something very sacrificial and special for this person. And knowing that this person has a habit of disappointing me, I didn't not have any specific expectations as far as gratitude was considered. However, what I have just experienced is the gift basically being rejected in spite of the fact it met the exact spoken desires of the recipient has left me deeply frustrated and emotionally wounded.

I was unprepared for the scenario of rejection of the gift. I had never given a gift of this magnitude to anyone and especially because the act of it caused extreme inconvenience for me on level of basic daily necessities. However, I did not think twice when I purchased the gift because I was so motivated to show this act of genuine love and kindness. But what we don't always think about is how much expectation is automatically accompanied with the drive to do a grand act of sacrificial kindness. We naturally expect SOMEthing in return. If not spoken or expressed gratitude, then, for me, the fruition, completion, or acceptance of the gift. 

Well what happens when your efforts are either rejected or not fulfilled? What do you do with that? Especially when there is no way to under the sacrifice made. How do you cope with all the thoughts of, "I wish I had never..." "If I could have all that back how much better off I could have been now" etc. Then this now tempts you to dig up all negative elements about the circumstance you would have otherwise let go and been unaffected by and hang on to them.

My question...is it even possible to give a sacrificial gift with ZERO expectations???

The whole point of a sacrificial gift is to accomplish some sort of benefit to the recipient and when the completion of the effort is not even successful then the sacrifice seems a waste and a loss. In a situation of this extremity I feel no other alternative than to trust God to repay me for my efforts. Especially when the act was genuinely done out of a heart to selflessly love the other person. But how do you deal with the pain now, because reconciliation doesn't always happen immediately. It is important not to carry around the burden of hurt, especially when reconciliation is being made outside of relationship with the recipient of the gift.

I am at a loss. I have no resolution for my heart...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tales of a Perfectionist: Living in the Pocket

NF (No Fronting): Real Life